- Disney joins the Web3 space in partnership with Dapper Labs.
- Dapper Labs is known for its smash-hit NBA Top Shot collection.
- Disney Pinnacle to feature Star Wars, Toy Story, Elemental & others.
The Walt Disney Company, a heavyweight mass media & entertainment conglomerate, embarked on its inaugural journey into the Web3 sea. The multi-national company has declared that it’s working on its own non-fungible token (NFT) product in collaboration with Dapper Labs.
Dapper Labs is the Web3 company behind the NBA Top Shot NFT collection, a blue-chip NFT project that was a sensation among sports memorabilia collectors. The official NBA partnership brought in millions of sales for NBA Top Shot, approaching $50M in daily sales at its peak in February 2021.
What To Expect From Disney’s Own NFT Marketplace?
In spite of the faded non-fungible token hype, a recent Halloween Special from the Simpsons unexpectedly put the focus back on NFTs. Paying homage to world asset tokenization and globalization, the Simpsons episode featured Homer minting a Bart NFT, while also having a dig at profile-pic NFTs, which have little to no utility.
The hallmark animated series’ satirical episode was no coincidence. ‘The Simpsons’ is broadcast by 21st Century Fox, a titanic enterprise owned by The Walt Disney Company since its acquisition in 2019. As a result, The Simpsons also fall under the category of Disney characters, making original Homer & Bart non-fungible tokens a real possibility for NFT enthusiasts.
Disney franchise fans should buckle up for a fascinating selection of Disney characters. The fairytale list of Disney Pinnacle NFT pins includes Darth Vader, Woody the Woodpecker, top Disney princesses Rapunzel, Cinderella & Snow White, among other key characters.
On The Flipside
- While Disney Pinnacle NFT marketplace’s waiting list has been opened, neither Disney nor Dapper Labs didn’t provide an official launch date for the NFT platform.
- Marvel characters are unlikely to be included in the Disney Pinnacle NFT marketplace, as the intellectual property (IP) doesn’t cover the characters in Marvel Comics.
Why This Matters
Dapper Labs is partnering with one of the largest conglomerates around the globe. The Walt Disney Company was last valued at a whopping $159 billion.
Explore DailyCoin’s trending crypto news:
Singapore Drives Asset Tokenization Campaign with New Pilots
Friend.tech Hype Fizzles to Crawl, Daily Transactions Vanish