- Unity has introduced a new “Decentralization” category page in its Asset Store.
- The new category will feature verified solutions from web3 heavyweights, including Solana, MetaMask, ImmutableX, and more.
Leading cross-platform game engine Unity is officially adopting web3 technology after being used by numerous Web3 games. The game developer has released a dedicated page for Decentralized Solution in its asset store.
The category will feature tools from Unity’s Verified Solution Program and optimize the development process of Web3 games. Unity will now empower developers with APIs and tools from verified projects such as Solana, Immutable, MetaMask, Altura, and more.
Game developers extensively use the Unity game engine for both Web3 and traditional games. With Web3 gaming performing impressively this year, Unity’s adoption of Web3 solutions could accelerate and maintain the demand for web3 games.
Leveling Up Web3 Gaming
Unity’s “Decentralization” storefront aims to level up ownership models in Web3 games and enable players to create, earn, or obtain in-game resources they can sell or trade. The game engine will add support for software developer kits (SDKs) built by Unity Verified Solution Program partners.
The Verified Solutions program is an ecosystem of trusted third-party solutions. Listed teams have worked directly with Unity to ensure their SDKs met Unity’s standards.
Here’s a summary of what each collaborator is bringing to the table:
- Solana, Algorand, Aptos, Dapper Labs, and ImmutableX’s SDKs will ease app and digital asset integration using their blockchains.
- MetaMask’s SDK will help users to connect their MetaMask wallets in any game developed on Unity.
- Tezos will enable cross-game functionality and the minting and trading of in-game items.
- Truffle will provide a smart contract development framework for Ethereum.
- Alutra’s API and SDK will help developers create, update, and transfer NFTs in-game.
- Infura’s suite of tools will help build and connect to any EVM-compatible blockchain.
- Aikon Ore will allow developers to create web3 accounts and sign-in portals.
- Nefta’s solutions will give developers access to wallets, tokens, marketplaces, and more integration.
- The Quarters SDK will provide monetization tools for developers.
More information can be found on the Unity Asset Store.
Given crypto gaming has risen this year, the leading gaming platform aims to tap into the market and catalyze development. Many of the members listed in the Asset Store have been working on their solutions for years. Now, with Unity in the mix, it could distribute these solutions on a much larger scale.
On the Flipside
- Competitor game engine Unreal Engine has listed Web3 plugins before Unity. The competitor’s plugins also support smart contracts and the integration of digital assets into games.
- Unity’s official Twitter account has not shared any information about the asset store addition.
Why You Should Care
Developers have anticipated Unity’s move to web3 for years considering many games are built on the company’s game engine. The Unity engine powers over two million games with a user base exceeding 2.7 billion. Its marketplace features over 16,000 assets and is extensively integrated into numerous games.
Unity’s adoption of decentralized gaming solutions could surge the development of web3 games and break mainstream adoption. The platform’s move to Web3 is monumental as crypto gaming continues to perform this year.
Are you looking to try Web3 Games? Read our guide on the top games to play:
Top 12 NFT Games to Play in 2022.
Read how execs from reputable traditional gaming companies are moving to Web3:
Ex-EA and Unity Execs Move Rooniverse to ImmutableX.