- Cyber Capital founder and CIO Justin Bons has sparked a heated debate on Twitter.
- Bons has argued that these coins are centralized due to their permissioned blockchain architecture.
- He has listed ETH, ADA, and DOT as some of the genuinely decentralized projects.
Bons boldly asserted that Bitcoin (BTC), XRP, Binance Coin (BNB), and Stellar (XLM) are not authentic DeFi projects. While Bons acknowledged that BTC played a significant role in the growth of cryptocurrencies, he argued that it falls short in its capacity to handle complex financial products.
Moreover, Bons claimed that XRP, BNB, and XLM are centralized due to their permissioned blockchain architecture, where users must seek authorization to participate in the network.
Bons List of Genuinely Decentralized Projects
According to Bons, permissioned blockchains like those of XRP, BNB, and XLM may be more susceptible to censorship and manipulation. They can be controlled by centralized entities, which contradicts the core principles of decentralization and trustlessness.
Conversely, supporters of centralized cryptocurrencies argue that they can offer increased efficiency, regulatory compliance, and better governance.
Bons’ tweet triggered a range of reactions from the crypto community, with some echoing his sentiments while others disagreed.
In a follow-up tweet addressing the Solana (SOL) project, Bons opined that while technically decentralized and permissionless, it has made dangerous trade-offs in security and scalability to achieve those attributes.
On the Flipside
- Centralization may not necessarily be bad in the crypto space, as it can offer benefits such as enhanced efficiency and better governance.
- Bitcoin’s decentralized nature has been instrumental in its success, and it continues to serve as a store of value and a means of exchange.
- Some contend that the distinction between centralized and decentralized cryptocurrencies may not be clear-cut and that many projects exist somewhere on a spectrum between the two.
Why You Should Care
The differentiation between centralized and decentralized cryptocurrencies has been a topic of debate in the crypto industry for a long time.
Justin Bons’ recent comments on Twitter bring this discussion back into the spotlight and highlight the importance of understanding the fundamental principles of decentralization in the context of DeFi projects.
To learn more about the importance of securely storing your cryptocurrency, read here:
To find out about Ripple’s recent financial performance, check out this article: