- Yuga Labs is in the hot seat on Twitter for aping kids’ drawing guide.
- Bored Apes creators used a wolf skull for the Bored Ape Kennel Club.
- BAKC NFT floor price reached the monthly high of 8.20 ETH amid the news.
Yuga Labs, one of the leading Web3 companies, have been called out on Twitter for duplicating a wolf skull from the Easy Drawing Tutorial for Kids. The monkey business was detected by digital artist J Colombo, as he posted the two identical pictures, pointing out that the drawing guide was released a month earlier than the canine Bored Ape Kennel Club NFT collection.
On top of that, the wolf skull was posted by Easy Drawing Guides nearly three months earlier for the first time. The concerned NFT artist indicates that Yuga Labs had trademarked the wolf skull illustration and asked: “Are you guys ok or have you bumped your heads?” Finally, Easy Drawing Guides, the intellectual property owner, stepped in to claim the image.
Crypto Twitter Lashes Out at Bored Apes
The controversy surrounding copied images is particularly sensitive to Yuga Labs, as the Web3 giant sued internet provocateur Ryder Ripps for creating a parody BAYC NFT collection. Even though NFT artist Ryder Ripps made a juicy $1.6 million, the lawsuit is focused on principle.
Ripps raises the question if NFTs are non-fungible by definition, can ‘copyright infringement’ be applied? Naturally, the outcome of the pending lawsuit can set the tone for NFT regulation as intellectual property. While Yuga Labs settled with one of the defenders, it remains unknown if the altercation between Yuga Labs and main defendant Ryder Ripps will end in a peace treaty.
On the other hand, many crypto enthusiasts on Twitter went bananas on the Apes after the news surfaced with sufficient evidence. For instance, PAULY, the founder of NotLarvaLabs, bashed Yuga Labs by saying, “it’s a criminal operation and they steal from creators.”
Ironically using an avatar from the Yuga Labs-owned Crypto Punks NFT collection, PAULY is joined by trader Crypto Bitlord, who uttered: “You can change a logo but you can’t change the NFTs you used to reap millions.”
On the Flipside:
- The NFT floor price of Bored Ape Kennel Club (BAKC) soared by 4.8% in the last 24 hours and posted its best monthly result at 8.20 Ethereum (ETH), totaling $14049.63. The dog-themed collection was originally dished out to BAYC members for free, only requiring them to pay gas fees on the initial mint.
- Greg ‘Garga’ Solano, one of the co-founding members of Yuga Labs, apologized on Twitter and promised to change the logo as soon as possible. Garga also revealed that BAKC had raised over $1M for animal charities and will continue to do “some good work for causes we care about.”
Why you should care:
Yuga Labs is a heavyweight in the Web3 space, with several blue-chip NFT collections. Currently, the company’s valuation is $4 billion with expansion plans.
Read the top trending stories in NFTs:
Bitcoin NFTs: What Makes BTC JPEGs so Extra-Ordinal?
Are YouTube and Web3 Coming Closer as Neal Mohan Becomes New CEO?