What Makes a Blockchain Game Worth Your Time?
Well primarily of course it has to be fun to play, but besides that blockchain games offer certain things that regular games can not provide-
- Data Security- Since in-game data is stored on the blockchain, you do not have to be worried about servers crashing or your hard drive crashing and it is impossible to lose your valuable game data to hackers
- Crypto-currencies- Blockchain games offer endless ways to earn crypto-currencies while playing. This can be direct or through trading of in-game tokens
- NFTs- Blockchain games give you ownership of your creations and achievements in the form of NFTs that can be exported to your NFT wallet for trading
- Data Ownership- You have complete control over your NFTs and they are like your own property. Also you will never lose this ownership
- Peer-to-Peer- As more and more blockchain games adopt decentralised, peer-to-peer file sharing systems your dependence on centralised servers reduces, making possible offline playing and trading.
- Creative rights- As a player of blockchain games you get the opportunity to be involved in the game’s creative process, and you may even get to design assets or vote on major treasury decisions, and thus determine the game’s future.
- Interactive- Some NFTs that you obtain in games can give you certain privileges in real life like access to events and blockchain social circles.
So let’s get to it!
Top 10 Blockchain Games in Feb 2021
Decentraland has it all. Want to buy NFT-backed land? Done. Want to gamble you money away at fancy casinos? Can do. Want to dance the night away with friends at the club? Possible. With a crypto-currency integrated VR platform, the opportunities in Decentraland are endless. User-built and run, this decentralised game is the ideal spot to hang if you are a blockchain fanatic, a post-internet artist, an investor or just someone who wants to try out new NFT games. Creators have purchased land to build all kinds of experiences in this world, filling it up with a multitude of games, galleries and stores, where you can spend your $DG, the game’s native token.
2. The Sandbox Game
The Sandbox Game is a VR voxel-based decentralised world that involves the community in building new games and taking all major treasury decisions. Players can buy land using the native $SAND token and gain ownership of their assets using NFT technology and play games that are mostly in adventure-platformer categories. It is targeted towards a younger audience and will have educational usability in the future.
Another community-run VR decentralised game, but with a focus on art and music. Most users in this online community are tech-savvy, next-gen artists who are breaking new ground with their NFT creations that blur the lines between what is art and what isn’t. If you are looking to buy some of the most original art available in the market today, pay a visit to one of the many art galleries in Cryptovoxels.
4. Axie Infinity
One of the fastest growing and most popular blockchain games, Axie Infinity gives you the chance to breed and battle pokemon-like creatures. You can also buy,sell and auction lands, creatures and other in-game NFTs for cryptocurrencies.
5. Spells of Genesis
Spells of Genesis is the 1st blockchain-based mobile game ever made. SoG combines Trading Card Game functionalities with the point-and-shoot aspects of arcade games. Players have to collect and combine tokenizable cards to create the strongest deck to use in-game or to trade or sell.
6. Alien Worlds
Alien Worlds is the number one ranked decentralized game by user base in which you can farm Crypto and NFTs by owning Planets where you charge rental commission and playing mining and fighting games.
7. Crypto Crusades
Crypto Crusades is one of the first grand strategy games on mobile that fully-incorporates blockchain technology. All aspects of the complex and in-depth gameplay utilizes smart contracts,from your cities to your resources to your troops are all live, on-chain, in a decentralized environment to ensure security in gameplay.
8. Chain Guardians
ChainGuardians is a turn-based real time strategy game that incorporates the ecosystem’s assets such as weapons and armour, and characters, as digital collectables. Player rewards are driven by both player purchases and crypto trading which occur as a result of partnerships with other game tokens and blockchains.
In Upland players purchase virtual property mapped to real-world addresses. You receive NFT rewards by completing signature property collections, participating in daily treasure hunts and live events. You can start earning a return on your properties and collecting fees from visitors or running a company in the game.
10. Somnium Space
Somnium Space is an open and social virtual universe built on the Ethereum blockchain in which you can buy land, build or import objects, and instantly enjoy or monetize assets. It makes for a good sandbox platform to get a basic understanding of how blockchain and NFT game mechanics work, but it is still far from being a complete game.