- Shibarium L2 integrates decentralized identity via SHIBDentity.
- Shiba Name Service (SNS) goes live on Shibarium L2 mainnet.
- Lea dev Shytoshi Kusama unravels a super app in the making.
A new era began on Shiba Inu’s Shibarium Layer-2 on the last day of October 2023, when the developers announced the first installment of the SHIBDentity system. SHIB Name Service (SNS) is designed to help users avoid complex addresses on the blockchain.
The Shibarium Layer-2 scaling solution brings a disruptive innovation with easily readable addresses on-chain but also serves a purpose in the grander scheme in a full-on digital identity, decentralized via verifiable credentials.
SNS can be accessed via name.shib.io. To illustrate, an address with the name DailyCoin.SHIB would currently cost 20 Bone ShibaSwap (BONE). The official gas fee token for Shibarium Layer-2 is used for the purchase, while users can use various Web3 wallets to get their domain, including Coinbase Wallet, MetaMask, Trust Wallet, and Rainbow.
Kusama Unfolds Core Principles of SHIBDentity
The general principles of Shiba Inu Ecosystem’s SHIBDentity concept revolve around several key features:
- Self-custodial authentication via Web3. This eliminates the need for identification via traditional or Web2 methods, meaning that internet surfers are getting back control of their data.
- Decentralized verifiable credentials: in SHIBDentity, the credentials are directly stored on-chain, rather than a corporate-owned database.
- W3C Standard Compliance. The Web Consortium for global standards on self-sovereign identities. This allows interoperability between self-sovereign identities in different applications.
- SHIBDentity’s Karma System: the built-in trust system allows members to organically build trust on the blockchain without relying on personal ties.
Finally, Shiba Inu’s lead developer Shytoshi Kusama described the new peer-to-peer messaging system. Users on Shibarium L2 can interact with each other in encrypted messages, as it’s only based on the data stored in the participant’s sovereign digital identity.
Shiba Inu’s Marketing Lead, Lucie, pointed out other benefits of a blockchain-based decentralized identification system. According to her, one of the main arguments for SHIBDentity’s P2P communication is the significant reduction of spam bots.
On the Flipside
- The super-app ambitions of SHIB Token developers could challenge Elon Musk’s X, as it’s the same concept of an all-in-one digital identity-based app.
- However, Shiba Inu aims to fuse decentralized autonomous organizations (DAOs) and encrypted messaging in order to cut out the middleman.
Why This Matters
Shibarium’s new digital identification system aims to empower users to “own and control their digital identities” rather than give the data to major corporations.
Explore DailyCoin’s top crypto news: