- The Ethereum Dencun upgrade has gone live on Sepolia.
- With Sepolia, developers were able to shake off issues experienced on Goerli.
- Following the Sepolia fork, the Dencun upgrade is only one step away from going live on the mainnet.
The Dencun upgrade is progressing relatively smoothly across Ethereum‘s testnets. Following Goerli, the upgrade has launched on a second Ethereum testnet, further stoking anticipation of a near mainnet release.
Ethereum Dencun Makes Quick Work of Sepolia
On Tuesday, January 30, the Dencun upgrade went live on the Sepolia testnet, Ethereum’s sandbox for dApp and smart contract testing, bringing the long-anticipated upgrade closer to a mainnet release.
Unlike the Goerli fork, which initially experienced finalization issues, developers highlighted that the Sepolia upgrade quickly finalized with no problems.
“Sepolia has finalized! Sorry for an uneventful upgrade,” Ethereum developer Terence Tsao enthused.
Ethereum Dencun One Step Away?
Following the successful launch of Dencun on Sepolia, the upgrade has only one more testnet to go before going live on the mainnet. The final testnet update is scheduled to take place on Holesky on February 7.
After the Holesky update, developers are expected to fix a date for the mainnet upgrade, with many anticipating the upgrade to go live sometime in March 2024.
On the Flipside
- The timing of the mainnet launch will still depend on the success of the Holesky fork.
- Aside from the Ethereum Dencun upgrade, community members also anticipate potential approval of spot ETH ETFs.
Why This Matters
The Sepolia fork brings the Ethereum Dencun upgrade closer to the mainnet launch.
Read this for more on the Dencun upgrade:
Ethereum Dencun Upgrade on Schedule Despite Initial Snag
See Vitalik Buterin’s perspective on how AI and crypto can intersect:
Here’s How Ethereum’s Buterin Sees AI, Crypto Intersecting