- Axie Infinity announces the launch of a public testnet, Ronin.
- Ronin was developed as a scaling solution built specifically for Axie Infinity.
- Ubisoft, Binance, and others will validate transactions on the sidechain.
- Developers to benefit from a bug bounty program.
Axie Infinity, the Ethereum-powered digital pet game on Wednesday announced that it has launched a public testnet of its Ronin sidechain. According to DappRadar, the non-fungible token (NFT) game currently has over 18,000 monthly active users.
Co-founder Jeffrey Zirlin believes that a sidechain will help the game grow faster than its current Ethereum network. The new sidechain will also help the game scale faster than its current network.
Key Facts About Ronin
Ronin is an Ethereum sidechain built specifically for Axie Infinity. A Ronin was a samurai without a master in feudal Japan. The firm explains that by naming its testnet Ronin, it “represents our desire to take the destiny of our product into our own hands.”
Ronin is currently a Byzantine Fault Tolerant proof of authority(POA) network operated by validators. For an asset to be transferred on Ronin, approval has to be gotten from 2/3 of Validators.
The Involvement of Ubisoft and Binance
Axie Infinity announced that the Paris-based video game giant, Ubisoft will be Ronin’s inaugural validator. According to the announcement, Ubisoft will be responsible for authoring and validating blocks, updating price oracles, approving deposits and transfers of assets (ETH, ERC20, and ERC721) to and from Ronin.
Other validators include Binance, non-fungible token (NFT) data provider NonFungible.com, Animoca Brands, and blockchain infrastructure firm SPARQ. Validators will be appointed by Sky Mavis (the core developers of the game), these validators will in turn oversee the addition and removal of other validators on the network.
On the Flipside
- Microsoft and Ernst & Young have announced that they will be expanding Microsoft’s blockchain solution to include the ethereum blockchain for gaming royalties.
- Microsoft’upgraded solution will reduce the time it takes for contracts to be paid, simplify the process of self-service content creation, and reduces costs.
- Also, DeFi Game has announced its plan to launch fully on January 4, 2021. This follows an announcement in November that Aave had invested in Pixelcraft Studios, creators of Aavegotchi.
An Ongoing Bug Bounty
While announcing the launch of the Ronin testnet, Axie Infinity announced a bug bounty alongside. Developers who are able to flag critical bugs on the testnet can get rewards up to $2,000.
Axie Infinity announced that the Ronin public testnet program will run until the 18th of January 2021. After a successful test pilot, Axie Infinity’s new land system and related items will migrate over from its current sidechain, Loom Network.