- Cyprus-based Mediterranean Hospital has begun certifying Coronavirus using a blockchain solution
- The hospital announced that it has vaccinated 100 doctors and nurses against COVID-19 using the E-HCert app
- The app was developed by VeChain and I-Dante specifically for the hospital last May.
In an announcement dated Tuesday, January 5, 2021, the Mediterranean Hospital of Cyprus revealed that it had begun administering Coronavirus vaccinations with the help of a blockchain-based mobile app to certify the immunizations.
The hospital revealed that the certifications were made using E-HCert, an app backed by VeChainThor blockchain solution. According to the hospital, the first vaccine was administered on January 4, and as many as 100 doctors and nurses have received the vaccinations.
A Great Move for Blockchain Technology
According to the official statement from the hospital, those vaccinated received a digital certificate for their vaccination on their E-HCert App. The certification is an assurance of the quality and validity of the health data.
The hospital explains that another move towards the digital transformation of the health care industry via the VeChainThor blockchain.
The Blockchain technology thrives upon getting use cases, and this is one such case. In commenting on the new use case, the ecosystem manager of Vechain in Limassol, Dimitris Neocleous, said in a tweet.
With every country trying to create its own app, the use of VeChainThor (via the E-HCert App) as a single and immutable source of truth brings value, versatility, and convenience for the return to normalcy
On the Flipside
- As the crypto market surged past a market cap of $1 trillion, many believe the key to maintaining sustainability lies in Blockchain tech.
- On this note, Stratis has announced the release of their Blockchain as a Service (BaaS) platform.
- Stratis hopes to use BaaS to bring blockchain technology to mainstream companies via Azure Cloud.
- Also, the Argo Blockchain, a London-listed Bitcoin miner has seen its share grow by an astronomic 1,600 percent in the last three months.
What is the E-HCert App?
With the Covid-19 pandemic putting the healthcare sector on a backfoot, VeChain and I-Dante Co-developed the E-HCert app. E-HCert is a Blockchain-based COVID-19 record-keeping application specifically designed for the citizens of Cyprus.
The app is based on the modern Electronic Health Record (EHR) system. E-HCert provides a secure method of on-chaining COVID-19 related tests. It is also used to give the results of the health status of the individual.
The first real-world use of E-HCert came in June 2020 where it was used for COVID-19 RT-PCR Tests results. More than 8000 people used the app to receive their results after having a COVID-19 RT PCR test at the International Airport of Larnaca in Cyprus.
E-HCert is fully compliant with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). According to a report from Cyprus Mail, Aretaeio Hospital in Nicosia is set to follow in the footsteps of the Mediterranean Hospital in the use of the E-HCert app.